Are we staying? Are we going?
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Behind the scenes here at In Search Of, we've been toiling away with the really difficult decision of choosing to stay in Lithuania for another year, or moving elsewhere. Since about October, J and I have been going back and forth about where we most want to live and what our personal and professional goals are for the upcoming years. We've been trying (and failing) to make future plans, decide whether to stay expats or re-pat, all while attempting to consider what's best for Baby ISO and for our parents. And let me tell you, with that many factors in play, it has been a very stressful several months.
Our big decision was made in November/December when J chose not to re-sign his contract to stay in Vilnius. Really, saying it like that sounds like I had no vote in the matter, but it was a unanimous decision. Though we love living in Vilnius, there are some things that we need right now that it doesn't readily offer. I'm rather torn about leaving because I do love it here and have made such wonderful friends, but it is time; I don't want to overstay.
So that means we are moving at the end of the school year! For months after choosing to leave our expat home in Vilnius, we both have been filling out job applications like mad people and worrying that neither of us will get a job and we'll have to move back in with our parents (with a kid and a cat at the age of ~30). Talk about stress and worry. Talk about a lot of late nights and working weekends. That limbo period is really not a fun time.
But about a month ago, we got good news. J was offered a fabulous job in a location where I'll be able to pursue ample freelance opportunities. But I'm totally going to be that blogger and share the good news with you next time (please don't hate me!).
In the meantime, do you have any guesses where we are moving to? Are we staying abroad or moving back to the US? I'd love to know what you think.