|One of my favorite small businesses - a cafe where East meets West -- in Dali, Yunnan, China|
Last week my Bloglovin' feed featured a blog post that moaned over how pointless and frivolous travel blogs feel with a world full of bad around them. Rather than offering their readers a way to take action (like this awesome post from Amanda or this post from Cassie -- there were many others, too!) or even simply providing an escape for readers (like these guys) feeling down about what's on the news, they just moaned. And you know what, that pisses me off!
I don't think travel blogs are frivolous at all; in fact, I think travel blogs have the possibility to contribute to making the world a better place.
- Travel bloggers act as ambassadors for their country, providing clear information about their nation and break down stereotypes.
- Travel bloggers can share cultures with the world, acting to diminish fear and misunderstanding.
- Travel bloggers can promote conservation through showing habitat destruction, companies that treat animals poorly, or share lifestyle tips for slow travel.
- Travel bloggers can boost the local economy by shopping local and supporting local artisans. The travel industry ultimately provides millions of jobs to people around the world.
- Travel bloggers provide an escape from daily lives for readers.
So here I am, a frivolous travel blogger doing something to leave the world a more positive place.