Happy 2017! I hope that you had a wonderful New Year celebration with all of your loved ones and that you are starting to feel recovered. We've actually just returned to Vilnius and hopefully are recovering from jet lag. Looking ahead to this new year, I'd like to chat about upcoming travel wishes.
While pregnant I traveled slowly and lazily. With a newborn, it was all about simple city trips taken at a slow pace. With a toddler, it has been a combination of where we want to see and what fits with his schedule. But this year, I'm ready for something different. I'm dying to eat spicy food that melts my face off, see colorful lanterns in markets, and go snorkeling. So for me, 2017 is the year of adventure. And I'm excited about it. I have a feeling that this year is going to bring quite a bit of change and something different, so watch this space!
My top picks for 2017 travel are:
1) Hike the Camino de Santiago in Spain: I only recently learned about the Camino de Santiago (or the St. James' Way in English) while editing for Trip101. The Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage trail that goes across northern Spain and into Portugal. I'm thinking that the trail along the coast through Bilbao would be awesome. Anyone have recommendations for a sturdy hiking backpack for carrying a two year old?
2) Go snorkeling: I realize that this is a vague travel plan, but I LOVE snorkeling and haven't been for several years now. Baby ISO and I are absolute beach bums, so I'd love to go on a lazy beach trip and spend half my time in the water. Do you have a suggestion for an awesome beach vacation that is affordable?
3) Go camping with the wild horses in Chincoteague, VA: I guess I'd settle for going camping anywhere -- well, maybe not my parents' backyard -- but ideally, I'd love to go camping in Chincoteague. My parents took my sister and I camping there a few times when we were very young and I'd love to go back. Lounging on the beach, seeing wild horses, and hiking would certainly be highlights.
4) Taking a cooking class: J and I took a cooking class on our trip to Beijing, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. In 2017, I'd like to take a cooking class to learn to make something new. I'm thinking something spicy and Asian. Perhaps Thai food or Vietnamese? Any suggestions for great cooking classes I should look up?
5) Visit a new city: Okay, okay, I know that for the past few years I've been constantly visiting new cities, but just because this is the year of adventure and something different doesn't mean that I'll stop taking city breaks. So, in 2017, I want to visit a city I've never been to before and become immersed in the culture. I'm not sure where I'll visit yet, but you can keep up-to-date with my travel plans on my About Me page.
What are your travel plans for 2017? I'm looking forward to seeing what your travel dreams are for this year, so if you have written posts about it, feel free to share in the comments below :)