Jurmala, Latvia, located about 30 minutes (15 km) from Riga, is a beautiful beach resort town with 26 km of sandy beaches and shallow sea water. Jurmala saw its glory days during the Soviet times and was famous among former Soviet Union countries as an excellent concert venue and glamorous getaway. In my opinion, its vibrance has not diminished with time, in fact, Jurmala was the highlight of my recent road trip through the Baltics.
Visit Jurmala for a few days during your own Baltic road trip, or take a beach break on your week-long trip to Riga, Latvia's cool capital. Below, you'll find my five suggestions for things to do in Jurmala.
1) Play in the sand on the beach or going beach combing way out into the sea -- the water is very shallow until you get very far out.
2) People watch at a restaurant or cafe on Jomas iela. We really enjoyed our meal at the Uzbekistan restaurant, but there were plenty of restaurants to choose from.
3) Enjoy Art Nouveau architecture on the tree-lined streets. Keep a lookout for intricate details, colorful facades, stained glass, and ornate roofs. There are 103 buildings that are of national importance and nearly 300 of local significance, so if you are interested in architecture, there is more than enough for you to see. Thanks, J for the awesome photos below!
4) Spend hours unleashing your inner child at Dzintari mezaparks (Dzintari Forest Park), an awesome adult and children playground -- it's free!!
5) Tour the churches, or the land where a former church stood. In the photos below, there is a fenced green space, where church services are held each week. The parish is working to raise money to rebuild a church that was ruined in 1962. There is also an incredibly bright blue church, but we didn't get the chance to stop and see it. Does anyone know the name of this church?
Here is some additional information to help you plan your Jurmala trip:
What else would you suggest doing in Jurmala? Do you like visiting beach resort towns?
I'm linking up with Wanderlust Wednesday.